A blog to foster English production based on Extensive Reading .This blog is supported by students of Modern Languages.
Saturday, 30 May 2009
QUESTION 1
What can you say about the characterization and presentation of women in these Canterbury Tales? Refer at least to 2 different tales.
20 comments:
Anonymous
said...
1. Based on your experience as a reader, what was the most difficult thing for you when reading this book? Propose some ideas about the way to overcome that difficulty.
First the most difficult thing was began to read it, because, as soon as I began to read The Canterbury Tales I only would wanted know what would be the next or the finish of Canterbury Tales. Second difficult thing was know what connect each other, and, after when I read all tales still, I haven´t understood it. Then I began to read the Canterbury tales again, and I tried understand the book in this opportunity I understood the book. I propose that: Everyone, individuality, have that identify your problem and begin to give solutions for its. I can beg to my teacher recommendation of books, so, know which I can read in my process of learning. Respect me, in this exercise, I have that read most books in English, for can have better comprehension in the readers, and better puntuation in the text.
Katherine,thanks a lot of your work here.You have written your personal ideas in your own style and tried to convey meaning.That is good as far as I see you are being spontaneous in your production.There are still some elements to work on more : would +verb beg: ask tio be able to+v: can +verb have to +verb(for needs and obligation) Even though you have some grammar mistakes, it is a good production. Thanks, Martha
Well I think that my dificults are the style for the lenguage becouse is old fashioned so I can't understand the words are no much listened now... and some histories was a little bit hard.. becouse it's changed a long the time. But generaly was a very good and interesting book, that kind are so showy.
the woman are very mean with the men because the dont give the love to one men but they prefer to give love to all men and thats not fear the fidelity is the most important thing gerbin angulo 20082165037
For me a woman’s role in The Canterbury Tales was to break free from a man’s dominance in a secretive unnoticeable way, and provide faithful and loyal devotion and love to a man and his decisions. The women are idealized like objects of desire; Chaucer paints a portrait of strong women who try to find love in different situations.
The Canterbury Tales is a compelling collection of tales using the faults of both men and women to show what is morally right and wrong. The Knight depicts women to bring the downfall of men because of a woman’s manipulative ways; the Wife of Bath’s view also describes women to bring the downfall of men, but because of a need to dominate; and the Oxford Scholar’s view states a woman’s role as being a faithful and loyal servant under any and all circumstances.
In 1385 Geoffrey Chaucer began the Canterbury tales, seven centuries ago, in that age women were a simple people; submissive and without opinion about anything, in that moment a perfect woman was a housewife also a refined woman like in the Reeve`s tale (The miller had a refined woman as wife). For those women and these people in XIV century was important virginity, it was sacred. For example in the Franklin` s tale “Dorien wanted to kill herself rather than betray her husband, and she thought of the maidens of Sparta who had preferred to die rather than lose her virginity” Women were property of men and they needed to have a husband and to be faithful.
"The wife of Bath's tale" paints a portrait of a strong woman that is finding love in difficult situations..this tale show us the ways a female character gains power within a repressive society....
In "the Miller's tale", May represent the female's desires of freedom because in Medieval times women were always passive and silent but some girls decided to break the chains that bound them..
This tales leaves us to see the strenght's women and the intelligence that makes us so necessary in society's evolution... Carolina
Good ideas here.What Alejandra has said is good but sure we all would like to know more about her point of view regarding women meaning in these tales.There is no reference about the question.Pending. Writing specific ideas is quite good,but the agreement was to write at least 15 lines.Will you Duban? Martha
well the are two stories the first one its the old lady that make understand the young men that love doesnt exit in the fisic body but exist in the pure hearth of every person inthe world sop finally when the man understand that the old lady transform in a young and beautiful lady. i thin that this one show the real hearth and value of women so i think that is sweet
well the womans in many stories have differrents "places" like the knight tale the woman is like a trophy, but in the carpenter story is a complice in the plan of the student for bed with the carpenter´s wife, in the nun tale is a judge, and forgiver for save the life of the knight what were to die because he rape a woman...the woman in this story are supreme, victym and evil! in the stories the woman are murderers like in the officer´s tale... the mother´s sultan killed to all the servants of the princess and the king´s mother try to kill the son of the queen, so the woman have different list in all the story or even in the same history
the were submissive and without opinion. For example in Knight's tale or in Man of Law's Tale the women had to do what their parents and husbands wanted.
In other tales the women were unfaithful and disloyal as we can see in the Miller's tale, maerchant's tale in which the women had lovers
In Clerk's tale Chaucer shows us a virtuous woman, who accepted all the tragedies with great patience, and helped her husband.
in the wife's tale Chaucer shows us a strong woman who can live between the difficulties to find love
In one story put the woman as an unfaithful character and in another as a “conformist” person. The Miller’s tale show us an unfaithful woman, who marry his husband, the miller, for unknown reasons, one day she knew Nicholas and she fell in love with him, perhaps because of the age, she was just eighteen and her husband was old, I think that is maybe one reason to be unfaithful, the way of being with the couple, if it does not work, the person just search for someone else, someone who can really make him/her happy, I am not justifying the unfaithful facts because if I am bored with someone I must tell it and finish the relationship, it is not fair play with people, even if they are evil. I just mean that unfaithful people is unfaithful because they look for something they do not have with their couple. In the Reeve’s tale I can see a woman who marries one man for unknown reasons too; I say this because if I were a “wealthy” girl and if I had a good position, I do not even think about marry with a man who has a thief-reputation. At the end that woman makes the same things that his husband does; so, at the end is it possible not to do the same things that our relatives do? I believe yes, that depends of our willpower.
the role of the woman is multifaceted; througout the canterbury tales there is a dual concept of women.throughout the tales of the knight, the miller, the merchant, and in the entire characters of the wife of bath, the women are shown to be extremely noble and virginal. the wife of bath also expresses her views on the subject of women relating to men, saying in her prologue that women should have sovereignty over men .jeeee the wife of bath uses the example of her fifth husband to shown that ignoring a woman's desire for sovereignty ...
For all of you here, thansk a lot for commenting here.It is a good way to practice English in a real context:sharing with others who also speak and write English, Martha
first I would can to say that the book was difficult, when I began to read I didn´t understand this, but then The book becomess interesting. although the vocabulary was difficult this is a book that leaves us with many lessons.
"the miller´s tale" and "the knihght`s take" shows the women like persons whitout desicions, and thoughts, designed to take care about her chlidren and husbands, without the possibility of choose their couple freely. These stories present the oppression to women in that time, in a society with limited ambitions, opportunities, thoughts and dreams.
On the other hand we can see an insane women in "the Wife Bath`s tale" I think her madness is caused by the the role of men in the social life, I means that she did that the men could do with women in that time, but also she mistook lust and pleasure with love, she offered pleasure their husbands in exchange for riches, she was really despair despite of this she enjoyed of her acts. She was really out of mind.
20 comments:
1. Based on your experience as a reader, what was the most difficult thing for you when reading this book? Propose some ideas about the way to overcome that difficulty.
First the most difficult thing was began to read it, because, as soon as I began to read The Canterbury Tales I only would wanted know what would be the next or the finish of Canterbury Tales.
Second difficult thing was know what connect each other, and, after when I read all tales still, I haven´t understood it. Then I began to read the Canterbury tales again, and I tried understand the book in this opportunity I understood the book.
I propose that:
Everyone, individuality, have that identify your problem and begin to give solutions for its.
I can beg to my teacher recommendation of books, so, know which I can read in my process of learning.
Respect me, in this exercise, I have that read most books in English, for can have better comprehension in the readers, and better puntuation in the text.
Katherine,thanks a lot of your work here.You have written your personal ideas in your own style and tried to convey meaning.That is good as far as I see you are being spontaneous in your production.There are still some elements to work on more :
would +verb
beg: ask
tio be able to+v: can +verb
have to +verb(for needs and obligation)
Even though you have some grammar mistakes, it is a good production.
Thanks,
Martha
Well I think that my dificults are the style for the lenguage becouse is old fashioned so I can't understand the words are no much listened now... and some histories was a little bit hard.. becouse it's changed a long the time. But generaly was a very good and interesting book, that kind are so showy.
the woman are very mean with the men because the dont give the love to one men but they prefer to give love to all men and thats not fear the fidelity is the most important thing
gerbin angulo
20082165037
women are the cause of all problems and figths in the history, I refer to the tales of the knight and the reeve
For me a woman’s role in The Canterbury Tales was to break free from a man’s dominance in a secretive unnoticeable way, and provide faithful and loyal devotion and love to a man and his decisions. The women are idealized like objects of desire; Chaucer paints a portrait of strong women who try to find love in different situations.
The Canterbury Tales is a compelling collection of tales using the faults of both men and women to show what is morally right and wrong. The Knight depicts women to bring the
downfall of men because of a woman’s manipulative ways; the Wife of Bath’s view also describes women to bring the downfall of men, but because of a need to dominate; and the Oxford Scholar’s view states a woman’s role as being a faithful and loyal servant under any and all circumstances.
DANIEL SAENZ
In 1385 Geoffrey Chaucer began the Canterbury tales, seven centuries ago, in that age women were a simple people; submissive and without opinion about anything, in that moment a perfect woman was a housewife also a refined woman like in the Reeve`s tale (The miller had a refined woman as wife). For those women and these people in XIV century was important virginity, it was sacred. For example in the Franklin` s tale “Dorien wanted to kill herself rather than betray her husband, and she thought of the maidens of Sparta who had preferred to die rather than lose her virginity” Women were property of men and they needed to have a husband and to be faithful.
"The wife of Bath's tale" paints a portrait of a strong woman that is finding love in difficult situations..this tale show us the ways a female character gains power within a repressive society....
In "the Miller's tale", May represent the female's desires of freedom because in Medieval times women were always passive and silent but some girls decided to break the chains that bound them..
This tales leaves us to see the strenght's women and the intelligence that makes us so necessary in society's evolution...
Carolina
Good ideas here.What Alejandra has said is good but sure we all would like to know more about her point of view regarding women meaning in these tales.There is no reference about the question.Pending.
Writing specific ideas is quite good,but the agreement was to write at least 15 lines.Will you Duban?
Martha
well the are two stories the first one its the old lady that make understand the young men that love doesnt exit in the fisic body but exist in the pure hearth of every person inthe world sop finally when the man understand that the old lady transform in a young and beautiful lady.
i thin that this one show the real hearth and value of women so i think that is sweet
att
pilar tavera 20082165033
well the womans in many stories have differrents "places" like the knight tale the woman is like a trophy, but in the carpenter story is a complice in the plan of the student for bed with the carpenter´s wife, in the nun tale is a judge, and forgiver for save the life of the knight what were to die because he rape a woman...the woman in this story are supreme, victym and evil!
in the stories the woman are murderers like in the officer´s tale... the mother´s sultan killed to all the servants of the princess
and the king´s mother try to kill the son of the queen, so the woman have different list in all the story or even in the same history
Chaucer shows to us several kinds of women:
the were submissive and without opinion. For example in Knight's tale or in Man of Law's Tale the women had to do what their parents and husbands wanted.
In other tales the women were unfaithful and disloyal as we can see in the Miller's tale, maerchant's tale in which the women had lovers
In Clerk's tale Chaucer shows us a virtuous woman, who accepted all the tragedies with great patience, and helped her husband.
in the wife's tale Chaucer shows us a strong woman who can live between the difficulties to find love
In one story put the woman as an unfaithful character and in another as a “conformist” person. The Miller’s tale show us an unfaithful woman, who marry his husband, the miller, for unknown reasons, one day she knew Nicholas and she fell in love with him, perhaps because of the age, she was just eighteen and her husband was old, I think that is maybe one reason to be unfaithful, the way of being with the couple, if it does not work, the person just search for someone else, someone who can really make him/her happy, I am not justifying the unfaithful facts because if I am bored with someone I must tell it and finish the relationship, it is not fair play with people, even if they are evil. I just mean that unfaithful people is unfaithful because they look for something they do not have with their couple.
In the Reeve’s tale I can see a woman who marries one man for unknown reasons too; I say this because if I were a “wealthy” girl and if I had a good position, I do not even think about marry with a man who has a thief-reputation. At the end that woman makes the same things that his husband does; so, at the end is it possible not to do the same things that our relatives do? I believe yes, that depends of our willpower.
the role of the woman is multifaceted; througout the canterbury tales there is a dual concept of women.throughout the tales of the knight, the miller, the merchant, and in the entire characters of the wife of bath, the women are shown to be extremely noble and virginal.
the wife of bath also expresses her views on the subject of women relating to men, saying in her prologue that women should have sovereignty over men .jeeee
the wife of bath uses the example of her fifth husband to shown that ignoring a woman's desire for sovereignty ...
For all of you here, thansk a lot for commenting here.It is a good way to practice English in a real context:sharing with others who also speak and write English,
Martha
first I would can to say that the book was difficult, when I began to read I didn´t understand this, but then The book becomess interesting.
although the vocabulary was difficult this is a book that leaves us with many lessons.
Juanita Robayo
"the miller´s tale" and "the knihght`s take" shows the women like persons whitout desicions, and thoughts, designed to take care about her chlidren and husbands, without the possibility of choose their couple freely. These stories present the oppression to women in that time, in a society with limited ambitions, opportunities, thoughts and dreams.
On the other hand we can see an insane women in "the Wife Bath`s tale" I think her madness is caused by the the role of men in the social life, I means that she did that the men could do with women in that time, but also she mistook lust and pleasure with love, she offered pleasure their husbands in exchange for riches, she was really despair despite of this she enjoyed of her acts. She was really out of mind.
COMMMENTS CLOSED SUNDAY 7 JUNE 2009
COMMMENTS CLOSED SUNDAY 7 JUNE 2009
Post a Comment